Country Program Coordinator: Mr. Hakan Ergun
Contact Person: Coordination Assistant Marat Omurov
5, Aydaralieva (Novosibirskaya)
Tel: (+996 312) 56 49 56, 56 85 94
Fax: (+996 312) 54 93 46
Business hours: 9.00-6.00
Turkish International Cooperation and Development Administration (TIKA) under the Office of Prime Minister of Turkey
The Turkish International Cooperation and Development Administration (TIKA) under the Office of Prime Minister of Turkey was established in 1992 after collapse of the Soviet Union and the Eastern European Socialist Alliance with the purpose of providing technical assistance for developing countries and establishing relations with them in areas of economy, trade, technology, culture, education and social development through implementation of projects and programs by TIKA.
A range of the TIKA’s project activities cover such Eurasian countries as the Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Mongolia in Central Asia; Russia, Ukraine and Moldova in the Black Sea region; Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Kosovo in the Balkans; and Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus in the Mediterranean. TIKA carries out its activity in the mentioned above countries through its Coordination Offices, and in those countries where they are not established – through embassies of the Republic of Turkey. At present there operate 23 coordination offices in 20 countries worldwide. The TIKA coordination offices located in the named countries are headed by Program Coordinators from Turkey. Local staff is employed in the TIKA offices along with experts and specialists hired within the scope of the projects under implementation.
In its activities on rendering technical assistance and implementing cooperation projects TIKA places emphasis on the country-specific national features, social and cultural peculiarities thus building its activities on experience of these countries. Amongst projects of recipient countries a priority is given to projects in the area of human development and technical cooperation. Programs and projects implemented by the TIKA Administration may be grouped by two categories: technical assistance and cooperation. TIKA continues to provide social, financial and mainly technical assistance. The TIKA’s technical assistance includes training programs, equipment supply and delivery of expert services. Besides, TIKA continues to implement cooperation projects aimed at development of bilateral relations in the area of culture.
TIKA in the Kyrgyz Republic
TIKA embarked on its activities in fraternal Kyrgyz Republic since 1992 and up to date the Administration implements cooperation programs, projects in areas of economy, trade, technology, culture, education and social development. In addition, TIKA has also supported the Kyrgyz Republic’s participation in the regional projects, various conferences, seminars, and working meetings.
The Kyrgyz Republic was the first among the Eurasian countries to have joined to the TIKA’s activities. The Bishkek Program Coordination Office was opened in September 1993, within the framework of the “Cooperation Protocol” signed on April 8, 1993 between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkey and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kyrgyz Republic, which is one of the first offices of TIKA’s Administration abroad.
Kyrgyzstan takes a leading position in the TIKA activity rating in the Eurasian countries. The total amount of the aid allocated by TIKA in the Kyrgyz Republic in the period of 1992-2007 has exceeded 16 million US Dollars.
Below is a table presenting the breakdown of the total amount of expenditure by years beginning from 1992 up to 2007 inclusive, allocated for implementation of projects and programs in the Kyrgyz Republic.
TIKA’s activities in the Kyrgyz Republic in 2003-2004:
- Opening of the TIKA Center of Culture and Library;
- Support in organizing of international conferences: ”The First International Silk Road History and Communication Seminar”, “The Problems in Business Life and the Factors of Success: Cases from Transition Economies and Developing Markets”;
- Technical, cultural and social support was provided for the PARPI Social Fond, and Music School No7;
- Technical assistance in renovation and equipping of the Turkish language classrooms in schools;
- Preparation activities jointly with the Ass ociation of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Tissue Bank relating to opening of the first Kyrgyz-Turkish Bone Marrow Transplantation Center on the basis of the Kyrgyz Research Hematology Center.
TIKA’s activities in the Kyrgyz Republic in 2005 (a list of the most important projects):
- Training courses in “Investigation and Forensic Science” for employees of the Academy of the Ministry of Interior of the Kyrgyz Republic;
- Symposium on ”Life and activity of Jusup Balasagun”;
- Project on the local self-government development;
- Support for the “Atatürk Ala Too” International University Library;
- Support for participation of the Kyrgyz representatives in the II International Festival of Dramatic Arts in Istanbul;
- International Exhibition “Dialogue between the East and the West”;
- Celebration of “Nooruz” in the Kyrgyz Republic;
- Project to set up the “Kumush Oinok” entity for production of the applied art items;
- International Exhibition “Export and Processing of Water Products, Aquaculture and Fish-Breeding Technology”;
- Equipment delivery to the State-Owned Enterprise “Kyrgyz Pochtasy”;
- Project on the program development and launch of a new page of the “Kabar” Information Agency in Turkish language;
- Training courses for the Kyrgyz experts in capital markets;
- Project of opening of the Kyrgyz-Turkish Bone Marrow Transplantation Center in the Kyrgyz Republic
TIKA’s activities in the Kyrgyz Republic in 2006 (a list of the most important projects):
- Opening of the computer laboratory in the Academy of the Ministry of Interior of the Kyrgyz Republic named after Major General of Police E. Aliev;
- Opening of the Kyrgyz-Turkish Bone Marrow Transplantation Center;
- Delivery of equipment to three schools of the Mangyt Ayil Okmotu of the Aravan rayon of the Osh oblast;
- Supply of equipment to the Atatürk Hostel under the University of Economy and Entrepreneuriship in Jalal-Abad city;
- Supply of equipment to the “Bilim Jurtu” school in the Novopokrovka village of the Issyk-Atat rayon;
- Establishment of the “Computer-based Language Learning Center” under the “Turkic World” Management Faculty of the Jalal-Abad University;
- Opening of the computer classroom at the Theology Faculty of the Arashan Humanitarian Sciences Institute under the Osh State University;
- Project on modernization of the Kyrgyz State Archival Service;
- Project to enhance the current statistics system in the Kyrgyz Republic;
- Technical assistance to children’s houses in cities of Kara-Suu and Uch-Korgon;
- Project on modernization of the Information-Analytical Center of the Kyrgyz National TV&Radio Broadcasting Corporation (KTR);
- Project on creation of a new page of the “Kabar” Information Agency in Turkish language;
- Forest Pest Control Project preventing harm by combating "Lymantria Dispar" (i.e. unpaired silkworm) to relict and nut forests of Kyrgyzstan;
- Support for the Manuscript Fund Library under the Academy of sciences of the Kyrgyz Republic;
- Organization of the “Week of Kyrgyz Culture”;
- Technical assistance to organizing of the IV Forum of the Turkic World Economy, Language and Communications;
- Technical assistance to conducting of the symposium dedicated to 15th Anniversary of the Kyrgyz-Turkish Relations.
TIKA’s activities in the Kyrgyz Republic in 2007 (a list of the most important projects):
- Forest Pest Control Project for combating "Lymantria Dispar" (i.e. unpaired silkworm) to relict and nut forests of Kyrgyzstan;
- Project on establishment of the Kyrgyz-Turkish Bone Marrow Transplantation Center;
- Support for purchase of sports and athletics equipment for the Kyokushin-Budo-Karate Federation;
- Opening of the computer laboratory for the primary school in the village Bagysh, Suzak rayon Jalal-Abad region;
- Opening of the computer laboratory in the Kyrgyz-Turkish Lyceum named after Murat Subakojoev in the city of Naryn;
- Support for purchase of teaching materials and equipment for the Hostel of the Arashan Humanitarian Sciences Institute under the Osh State University;
- Educational program in the sphere of the population and reproductive health on “Use of Mass Communication Technologies in Health Protection and Reproduction Services”;
- Project on establishment of the International Police Training Center;
- The Turkuaz Project “«Invalids Without Borders», and opening of the educational center for persons with limited capabilities within the scope of the named project;
- Technical assistance in publication and translation in the Kyrgyz language of the book: “Yuridicheskaya nauka (Legal Science), The scene of the crime investigation and criminal analysis” for the Academy of the Ministry of Interior of the Kyrgyz Republic named after Major General of Militia E. Aliev;
- Material support to the welfare institutions of Osh city, namely, to the Boarding House “Boorukerdik” and Ancillary School No 12 in Osh;
- Technical support to organization of international and regional conferences, symposiums, working meetings, and “literary evenings”;
TIKA has also provided support to participation of Kyrgyz specialists in numerous international conferences. Because of the TIKA support in 2006 102 persons and in 2007 112 persons went to Turkey and other countries with the purpose of doing internship and taking part in international conferences, congresses, working meetings and fairs thanks to TIKA’s aid.
For details of TIKA programs and activities worldwide, please visit TIKA's main website http://www.tika.gov.tr